News

Google Services Will Remain Functionable On Huawei Smartphones For Now

Huawei is also ready to implement Plan B as they've already placed their own OS in their smartphones

It's okay, Huawei users, despite the recent news of Huawei having lost access to Android and Google, you can still have access to the services as Android has released a statement that it will remain functionable on all existing Huawei devices.

It's safe to assume that smartphones already released by Huawei (and likely Honor as well) will not be affected by the suspended business operations between Google and Huawei. According to Android Authority, Google plans to comply with the U.S. government’s order to place Huawei on its Entity List, which bans the company from acquiring technology from US firms without government approval. But how this decision will impact Huawei's future remains unclear.

"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry. Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products covering those have been sold or still in stock globally. We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally," commented Huawei in an official statement.

So far we can be certain that existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services. But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices. It's also likely that future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.

Huawei can still use the version of the Android operating system available through an open source licence.

 

Plan B has already been set

This is likely only a short-term damage to Huawei overall, as they've expressed awareness that they knew this was going to happen. In his first comments since being placed on the list, Huawei chief executive Ren Zhengfei told Japanese media on Saturday: "We have already been preparing for this."

He informed that Huawei, which buys about $US67 billion (MYR 280 billion) worth of components each year according to the Nikkei business newspaper, would push ahead with developing its own parts. Its smartphones are already powered by its own proprietary processors, and earlier this year its consumer devices chief told German newspaper Die Welt that "we have prepared our own operating systems - that's our plan B".

Even so, this incident could knock its ambition to overtake Samsung and become the bestselling smartphone brand in 2020 seriously off course, not long after it had just defeated Apple in taking the number 2 spot.