A Southwest Airlines flight needed to be evacuated when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 started smoking while in its owner's back pocket.
Phone was supposed to be safe
The Verge managed to get in touch with the owner of the Galaxy Note 7, Brian Green. Green said he had his phone in his back pocket, powered down and charged at 80 per cent when it started smoking.
He then threw it on the ground, and according to another eyewitness (Green's colleague), the phone had burned the plane's carpet as well as the scorched the plane's subfloor.
Verge had verified the phone's IMEI on the Samsung website meant to determine whether a Galaxy Note 7 was the older, problematic version or a newer, safer one. The phone was, according to the IMEI, definitely one of the new replacement units.
Green said he had received the phone 21 September as part of the official Samsung US exchange program, collecting it from an AT&T store.
Samsung responded with a statement to the Verge as follows:
"Until we are able to retrieve the device, we cannot confirm that this incident involves the new Note7. We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause. Once we have examined the device we will have more information to share."
That will take a while as the phone is currently at the Louisville Fire Department's arson unit for investigation; further bad news for Samsung is that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission is now opening an investigation into the incident.
After the incident, Green got a new phone: the iPhone 7.
[Source: The Verge]