When Steve Jobs threw down the gauntlet to other mobile manufacturers today in a press statement trumpeting the success of the iTunes App Store, it was hardly a new thing. The man in the black polo-neck has a history of crafting quotes a meticulously as Apple's products. Here's our selection of his most quotable quotables:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!"
– bemoaning bad Apple design during his wildernessyears away from the company (1997)
"We made the buttons on the screen look so good you'll want to lick them."
– touting Mac OS X's Aqua user interface (2000).
"What's new is this amazingly efficient distribution system for stolen property called the internet – and no one's gonna shut down the internet."
– on selling the iTunes store to the music industry (2003)
"I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success – I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success, for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products."
– slamming Bill Gates' lot in geek documentary Triumph of the Nerds (1996)
"I wish him the best, I really do. I just think he and Microsoft are a bit narrow. He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger."
– putting the boot in to Bill Gates again and showing why he was the recipient of a letter from the
discoverer of LSD (1997)
"I'm the only person I know that's lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year… It's very character building."
– Yes, Steve. I'm sure we'd all like that opportunity! (2004)
"Everyone wants a Macbook Pro because they are so bitchin'."
– talking jive at the Apple Annual Shareholders Meeting (2006)
"It's like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in hell!
– reveling in the success of iTunes on Windows PCs (2007)
Let us know what you're favourite Jobbsian uttering is in the comments or take your Mac vs PC flame wars into the forums.