Dota 2 has been one heck of a cash cow and possibly Valve's way of cornering the MOBA market, whatever League of Legends fans say. Like Team Fortress 2's hats, players can't help but spend lots of money on cosmetic items.
But would they spend US$28 on a puppy?
That's how much it would cost to preorder the Frost Avalanche bundle, just part of the new things Valve is rolling out for the game as well as a big update for its ingame New Bloom Festival or its own homage to Chinese New Year. What's in the bundle? Take a look:
- Custom spell effect for Freezing Field
- Aurora, wolf pup of Icewrack
- Animated wolf pup chat emoticon
- All new animations
- Custom base skin with special ambient effects
- Custom death effects
- Custom loadout pose, effects, and pedestal
- Custom hero and ability icons
- 2400 Ability Points for the Year Beast Brawl event
- Allows you and your team to earn Ability Points for each victory in a regular match during the Year Beast Brawl event
Winter (dragon) is coming!
Besides the pricey shinies, Dota 2 is adding a new character. Say hello to the Winter Wyvern, which looks like a frost dragon to keep in theme with the icy setting Dota 2 seems to be focusing on.
If you need something better to do to unwind during the Chinese New Year, at least you know there'll be plenty of people around to play with when the Dota 2 update comes around.