If you recall a couple of weeks ago, we reported that Apple had issued a recall for their 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina laptops. The reason being that “the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk” so if you thought this wouldn’t be a big deal whatsoever, maybe this unfortunate event that happened to US-based designer Steven Gagne would convince you otherwise.
In a Facebook post documenting his unfortunate experience; Gagne left his 2015 MacBook Pro on his coffee table before retiring to bed where it then exploded hours later and filled his house with smoke. The worrying part is that the computer was set in Sleep Mode and was not plugged in at all. Luckily, Gagne woke up to the smell of smoke and had the fire that his MacBook had caused extinguished. Albeit not causing a large fire, it was fortunate for the designer to have the laptop placed on a coffee table rather than someplace more vulnerable, say a couch. Also it's worth noting that Gagne posted this on Facebook on June 17 2019, while Apple issued the major recall three days after.
Have a look at the images Gagne had uploaded of the damages caused during the unfortunate incident. Again, we insist that owners of the specific laptop should submit them to Apple for parts replacement as soon as possible.