E3 is like Christmas without the ‘birth of a messiah’ part: New games! New hardware! Much excitement! But even better, it's happening NOW, not in six months...
Directly below you'll find our liveblog where we'll be reporting up to the minute news from sunny California. Beneath that you'll see our summary of what's happened so far (Fallout 4!!!) and lastly you'll find our predictions of the tasty morsels yet to come.
Firewatch (PS4 / PC / Mac / Linux)
We've had our collective eye on Firewatch for some time. Mystery and murder in the foreboding forest? Yes please. The E3 trailer showed more of the same vivid visuals and atmosphere that piqued our interest all those months ago. New information is limited though we can tell you that Firewatch will premiere on the PS4. Feast yourself on the perfunctory one minute trailer above and hope and pray that a release schedule isn't far off.
Shenmue 3 (PS4 / PC) - Updated
A sequel to two of the most gorgeous action adventure games on the PlayStation was announced at the Sony press conference. Developer Ys Net is crowdfunding Shenmue 3 and launched the Kickstarter campaign live on stage - a clever tactic which has clearly worked: the game smashed through it's 2 million dollar funding target in a matter of hours.
- Shenmue 3 will be built in the Unreal 4 engine
- It feature a 'technique scrolls' system that allows you to expand your abilties through minigames
- PC gamers will also get to enjoy its fantastical delights
- The story will pick up with Shenmue 2 left off: Ryo has found his way to China and soon meets a new travelling companion
- Of course, the brilliant Yu Suzuki is back at the helm to lead the series to its conclusion
Don't be a ninny, get over to the Kickstarter page now and show your support.
The Walking Dead: Michonne (Console / PC / Mobile) - Updated
Earlier in the year Telltale teased us with news that it was developing its own IP in a TV show / game hybrid fomat.
Although the adventure game developer has failed to expand on those plans, it's definitely given fans another piece of hot gaming property to look forward to. Introducing The Walking Dead: Michonne.
Michonne is, without a doubt, our favourite character in The Walking Dead universe. She's got a katana, she's got attitude, but she also possesses an emotional depth that make her loveable. Telltale will be releasing a three part gaming miniseries featuring its titular hero in the autumn.
Telltale's own blog explains why they chose big M for the leading role: "In many ways, Michonne herself is a reflection of the world of The Walking Dead. She is brutal and cold on the outside, but deep beneath what is broken, she remains hopeful, trying to claw her way out of the darkness that surrounds her."
Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One) - Updated
Rare gave the crowds a well recieved slice of Guardians from the Xbox stage, showing off the production standards for which it's gained its stellar reputation. There's more to talk about here than we have space for, we think the vital points are as follows:
- Master Chief is back. Phew. But so is The Covenant. Argh
- Swanky Limited and Collector's editions are on the way with a whole load of swag
- New game mode, "warzone", will allow 24 players to explore maps up to four times the size of those in previous installments
- Four-player co-op campaign mode available
- Its been built from the ground up in a new engine specifically made for the Xbox One
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) - Updated
The makers of Killzone have launched a totally unexpected (but delightful) sneak attack with the surprise announcement of a new IP, Horizon: Zero Dawn. Its post-apocalyptic ARPG antics give off a Mad Max meets Skyrim vibe, and that's absolutely A-OK with us.
Why not read the preview penned by our very own Tom Parsons who managed to get behind-the-scenes demo of Horizon's mechanical monster-slaying.
Heroes Of The Storm (PC) - Updated
It's only been live for a short while but HoTS is about to take another leap forward in 2015. Blizzard took to the stage to annouce an expansion for the mash-up MOBA called Eternal Conflict.
- EC is a Diablo-focused expansion, adding playable heroes from that universe. This likely means that the next two expansions will be StarCraft and Warcraft focused
- The expansion will be landing in testing servers in for a lucky few gamers in just a couple of weeks
- New heroes include King Leoric, The Skeleton King, and the Monk, both characters from Diablo III
- A fresh map is also on the way called Battlefield of Eternity with a sumptuous heaven/hell aesthetic
- No word on whether the expansion is a paid-for addition or simply a large clump of cohesive content being dropped for free at around the same time
Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - Updated
Gaspy gaspy cough splutter scream crunch. If I was narrating the life of rebooted Lara Croft that's what it would sound like. Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't like it's going to give our well-to-do wanderer a break from her constant phsyical torment: there will be landslides, blizzards, nasty critters and of course, dank ol' tombs.
- Release is set for 10th November, just in time for some Christmas raiding
- Crystal Dynamics is keen to stress that Lara can progress non-lethally in this outing if desired
- Animals are back with a vengeance, Lara's going to be tussling with the likes of bears inbetween puzzle solving
- RoTTR (an acronym we'll definitely be using from now on) is, for the moment, an Xbox exclusive, but will likely be wending its way to PS4 and PC at some point
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Xbox One/PS4/PC) - Updated
With the exception of excruciatingly awful boss fights we gave Human Revolution a big thumbs up. The E3 peeks into Mankind Divided don't lead us to believe the formula will change a great deal, but that's okay, it wasn't broken in the first place.
- Jensen has some neat augmentations up his sleeve including a mounted arm gun and a obsidian defence screen called the Titan Shield
- Events take place two years after Human Revolution and all is not well with augmented citizens. They're being ghettoised, subjegated, and sometimes killed outright
- The terrific Icarus Drop ability makes a return along with Icarus Dash, allowing Jensen to cover short distances with great speed
- Jensen still wears sunglasses at night because in the future that's all the rage