In my review of the PlayStation 4 I noted that digital download versions of all the big games are the same price on the US PS Store as the discs are on Amazon.com. That price is $60, which today translates to £36.98.
Now those of us lucky enough to get PS4 hardware early have access to the UK version of the Store, and we've had a nasty shock. Every game on there is way more expensive than both the US download and Amazon.co.uk's disc price.
The full breakdown
- Killzone Shadow Fall - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store
- Call of Duty Ghosts - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £55 UK Store
- FIFA 14 - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store
- Battlefield 4 - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store
- Need for Speed Rivals - $60 on US Store - £45 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store
- Knack - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store
- NBA 2K14 - $60 on US Store - £55 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes - $60 on US Store - £50 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store
- Assassin's Creed IV - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £58 UK Store
More after the break...
Unfair on UK gamers
It's always seemed like utter madness that digital download editions of games should cost more than physical copies, and it seems completely bonkers and entirely unfair that this situation appears to have been sorted in the US while UK gamers appear to remain on course for a fleecing. We've contacted Sony for comment and will report back.
A cheeky workaround
In the meatime there is a bit of a workaround. It's possible to create a US PSN account with almost no effort, and while you can't use a UK credit card to pay for purchases on that account, you can buy PlayStation Network pre-paid cards from a number of online shops, many of which will instantly email you a redemption code. Most charge a small fee for the service, but we were able to get $60 of credit on our account for a total of £42.52 - a good deal less than the UK PS Store and Amazon.co.uk price. That $60 can then be used to buy a game on the US Store, and once downloaded it's playable by anyone using that console.